SchoolPower, the Laguna Beach Education Foundation, is seeking an enthusiastic, energetic person to play a role on our small team. The Events/Marketing/Development Coordinator will plan fundraising and community events, cultivate relationships with donors, and help to spread the word of SchoolPower’s events, programs, and impact.
The ideal candidate will possess the below qualities and will be committed to our mission to enrich the education and support the well-being of all children in the Laguna Beach Unified School District. The Coordinator reports to the Executive Director (E.D.) and also works closely with the Accounting & Administrative Manager and our volunteer board members. This is a non-exempt, part-time position (approx. 20 hours/week, with evening/weekend hours associated with major events). Starting salary is commensurate with experience/qualifications (approximately $24 per hour plus discretionary year-end bonus; growth potential for future years of service).
Note: The ideal candidate will work in-person on a flexible schedule at the SchoolPower office in Laguna Beach. The office is currently open to the public from M-F, 9AM to 3PM. The office is generally closed during school breaks and work hours are reduced in the summer.
JOB DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Supports the design and execution of all fundraising and community events (e.g., annual gala, dodgeball tournament, golf tournament) in close partnership with volunteer event chairs/committee members
- Secures event/project-related vendors (venues and outside services including entertainment, food, beverage, florists, etc.) and serve as liaison; helps to negotiate venue/vendor contracts
- Oversees event budgets and timelines; works with Accounting Manager to track event expenses; works with volunteer event chairs/committee members to meet organizational goals and deadlines
- Manages live and silent auctions for events, including providing leads, creating materials to support solicitation of items, tracking items, directly soliciting local businesses when needed, managing acknowledgements and receipts, and distributing items to auction winners
- Coordinates the production of event collateral including invitations, programs, banners, T-shirts, etc.
- Oversees guest lists, RSVP tracking, dietary restrictions/special needs, and communication with guests
- Collaborates with staff and event committees to coordinate day-of event logistics including set up, check in, organization, timeline, event program, and break-down
- Recruits, trains, and manages volunteers to help with day-of event execution
- Uses event data and metrics to summarize results; evaluates events with collective feedback from attendees, board, and staff; uses all data to inform changes to future events
- Manages SchoolPower’s presence on social media; creates, edits, and publishes frequent social content to build audience, generate engagement with followers, and inspire users to donate
- Helps to develop content to tell the story of SchoolPower’s impact through communication channels including press releases, website, social media, email blasts, school events, campaign mailers, and annual report
- Helps to create marketing plan and content to promote events
- Manages ad schedule for SchoolPower Student Directory app
- Coordinates, gathers and categorizes photos from events and maintains library of general publicity photos
- Stays current on emerging and competitive trends in the digital space to provide new creative ideas for platforms, programs, and opportunities to expand SchoolPower’s reach
- Helps to build a network of meaningful donor, volunteer, and sponsor relationships
- Identifies, cultivates, and secures prospective sponsors for events and in-kind donors; ensures sponsorship obligations are met
- Researches prospective donor leads and facilitates connections with staff and board members
- Works with VP Board Engagement and E.D. to plan trustee events and meetings
- Ensures that all donors and sponsors are properly recognized and acknowledged
- Monitors and responds to donor requests received via email and phone
- Updates donor records in the database and provides additional data entry support as needed
- Provides miscellaneous office support including answering phones and assisting with preparation for meetings
- Attends SchoolPower’s executive team and board of trustee meetings as needed
- Supports fellow staff members where needed on additional projects or tasks
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- Two years minimum experience in event planning, nonprofit development, social media, marketing, or similar
Experience with nonprofit events and volunteer coordination a plus
- Strong computer skills with proficiency in Google Drive (Docs, Sheets, Slides) and other similar programs
- Knowledge of social media platforms, paid media tools, and analytics tools
- Skilled in asset creation tools, such as Canvas
- WordPress, Mailchimp, or CRM system experience a plus
- Experience with data entry and donor software beneficial
- Drivers License required
- COVID vaccination required unless the candidate has a legally valid exemption
- A drive and passion to provide memorable events that generate funds to benefit Laguna Beach public schools
- Excellent people skills and a can-do attitude; ability to develop and maintain constructive relationships with staff, volunteers, and donors
- Proactive, collaborative and creative thinker, willing to take smart risks and lead initiatives with confidence
- Fun, energetic and enjoys connecting with new people and engaging with supporters
- Strong organizational and time-management skills, attention to detail, accuracy and follow-through
- Excellent interpersonal, listening and written communication skills
- Ability to work efficiently, independently, and problem solve, to collaborate and to take direction
- Ability to handle sensitive information confidentially; ability to exercise discretion and independent judgment
- Ability to adapt to changes in the work environment and deal with delays or unexpected events
- Ability to stay calm and positive even in a stressful environment like a large event; diplomacy and tact at all times; sense of humor a plus!
- Professional demeanor and appearance
WORK ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
This is a friendly, fast-paced environment. An ideal candidate will enjoy being part of a team where everyone jumps in where needed to achieve our organizational and fundraising goals ($1M+ annually) for local public schools. Because we are staffed lean and small in numbers, it is sometimes necessary to wear multiple hats and job duties can shift with organizational needs or changes in other staff positions. There is some flexibility in these tasks/hours depending on roles of other staff.
This is primarily an office job, with the exception of long periods of standing/moving during our events (especially our Dinner Dance, Golf and Dodgeball Tournament) and handling auction items and equipment for events. Occasional driving to meetings/events. Physical requirements include standing, sitting, typing, moving auction items, bending and lifting up to approximately 20 lbs.
Modification to work schedule may be based on needs of SchoolPower. The job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the jobholder.
Submit cover letter and resume to email@example.com with subject heading: Event/Marketing/Development Coordinator – (your last name). Cover letter should address your background and experience in relation to the expectations stated in the above job description. Resumes submitted without a cover letter will not be considered. No phone inquiries, please. SchoolPower is an Equal Opportunity Employer.