Family Support Specialist
Family Resouce Center
The Laguna Beach Unified School District (LBUSD) and SchoolPower Education Foundation are partnering to create a family resource center to serve LBUSD parents and students. The long-term vision for the Family Resource Center (FRC) is to create a support hub where qualified staff will provide families with guidance, support, connection, and community in close partnership with LBUSD. There are multiple priorities for the FRC: a) meet families’ essential needs (e.g., food, shelter, clothing, etc.), b) link families to licensed mental health providers, c) provide parent and child workshops, d) link to academic supports, e) support community events, and f) provide information and support for extra-curricular and summer activities.
ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES
The goal for all parents and students who engage the FRC is to overcome challenges and barriers so students can thrive. In close partnership with the LBUSD School Counselor Community Liaison, the Family Support Specialist will work directly with families who are referred by school district staff due to needs beyond the scope of LBUSD, or who self-refer with presenting needs. The Family Support Specialist will assess the family’s needs, determine appropriate support steps, coordinate with community providers, connect parents with services, and facilitate support as appropriate.
The ideal candidate will possess the qualities outlined below and will be committed to our mission. This is an independent contractor position with the expectation of approximately 20 hours/week to fulfill the duties below. The Family Support Specialist will work in person on a flexible schedule at the SchoolPower office in Laguna Beach. Hours to be defined based on availability, late afternoon/evening hours may be required to accommodate client meetings.
- Serves as main point of contact for families who self-identify or are referred to the FRC; assesses the family’s needs, identifies and helps to coordinate services and supports
- Establishes rapport and maintains strong collaborative relationships with LBUSD, SchoolPower, agencies, and community partners for services including food, clothing and housing assistance, mental health and family counseling support, academic support, and more
- Coordinates identification and connection to external services providers and community partners; facilitates warm handoff between family and service providers
- Develops and conducts an intake process and maintain accurate, up-to-date records on clients served including contact summaries, support service plans, and progress notes
- Monitors progress and conducts follow up with families
- Protects the integrity, respect, and privacy of all families served, including maintaining professional boundaries, security of personal client information, and compliance with regulations
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Masters degree in Social Work, Psychology, Sociology, or other field related to behavioral health preferred
- Licensed Clinical Social Worker (California) or Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist (California) preferred
- Minimum one-year post-graduate experience; preferably some experience in education setting
- Bilingual Spanish/English required
- Experience working with community partners, and knowledge of public and private benefits programs
- Knowledge of community resources in Orange County is a plus
- Strong computer skills with proficiency in Google Drive (Docs, Sheets, Slides) and other similar programs
- Drivers License preferred
- COVID vaccination is required unless the candidate has a legally valid exemption
- A drive and passion to provide quality services and programs to the Laguna Beach public school community
- Strong teamwork skills and a can-do attitude
- Ability to work cooperatively and effectively with other staff members, community organizations, parents, volunteers, donors, and the public, including people from different racial, ethnic and cultural groups, and from different backgrounds and lifestyles
- Strong organizational and time-management skills, attention to detail, accuracy, and follow-through
- Excellent interpersonal, listening, and written communication skills
- Ability to work efficiently, independently, and problem solve, to collaborate, and to take direction
- Ability to handle sensitive information confidentially; ability to exercise discretion and independent judgment
Professional demeanor and appearance
Submit cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject heading: Family Support Specialist – (your last name). Cover letter should address your background and experience in relation to the expectations stated in the above job description. Resumes submitted without a cover letter will not be considered. No phone inquiries, please. SchoolPower is an Equal Opportunity Employer.