Family Resouce Center
SchoolPower, the Laguna Beach Education Foundation, and Laguna Beach Unified School District (LBUSD) are partnering to create a family resource center to serve LBUSD parents and students. The long-term vision for the Family Resource Center (FRC) is to create a support hub where qualified staff will provide families with guidance, support, connection, and community in close partnership with LBUSD. There are multiple priorities for the FRC: a) meet families’ essential needs (e.g., food, shelter, clothing, etc.), b) link families to licensed mental health providers, c) provide parent and child workshops, d) administer after-school enrichment programs, e) link to academic supports, f) support community events, and g) provide information and support for extra-curricular and summer activities.
ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES
The goal for all parents and students who engage with the FRC is to overcome challenges and barriers so students can thrive. The Program Manager will be responsible for implementing programming that fits with the strategic vision of the FRC in collaboration with SchoolPower staff, volunteer board members, and LBUSD staff. The Program Manager will administer the after-school enrichment program at both Top of the World and El Morro elementary schools, as well as future expansion of the program.
The ideal candidate will possess the qualities outlined below and will be committed to SchoolPower’s mission. The Program Manager reports to the Executive Director (E.D.) and also works closely with the other staff members and school district staff. This is a non-exempt, part-time position (approx. 20 hours/week with occasional evening/weekend hours). The Program Manager will work in person on a flexible schedule at the SchoolPower office in Laguna Beach. Starting salary is commensurate with experience/qualifications.
- Collaborates with volunteer board members and internal team and LBUSD staff to develop and implement the mission, vision, programs and operations of the Family Resource Center (FRC)
- Oversees the the day-to-day functioning of the FRC and its programming
- Identifies, secures, and manages existing relationships with providers and partners for after-school enrichment classes, parent-targeted wellness activities, and preventative education workshops; coordinates all events and activities connected with the FRC in partnership with LBUSD
- Facilitates after-school registration process, including scheduling classes, managing online platform that includes class registration and payments, communication with parents, and troubleshooting issues
- Serves as main liaison between SchoolPower and school sites for the after-school program; works closely with school administration, teachers, and vendors to ensure quality of program
- Helps to facilitate an “on boarding” experience for families who are new to LBUSD, in partnership with LBUSD and PTAs
- Supports the continued growth and development of the FRC’s programs, including identifying opportunities for additional funding, designing and implementing new programs, and continuously striving to enhance the FRC’s work as an integral part of SchoolPower’s mission
- Partners with marketing team to promote the FRC locally to build community awareness and support the sustainability of the FRC
- Fosters a spirit of collaboration in working with all community partners, including LBUSD staff, Boys & Girls Club, and other groups as appropriate
- As needed, works with the Family Support Specialist to identify agencies and community partners for services including food, clothing and housing assistance, mental health and family counseling support, academic support, and more
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- Two years minimum work experience in a role with customer service responsibilities or in human services such as counseling, social work, community development, family support, or education
- Experience working with community partners and knowledge of community resources in Orange County a plus
- Strong technology skills with proficiency in Google Drive (Docs, Sheets, Slides) and other similar programs
- Drivers License preferred
- Experience with data entry and donor software, grant or report writing experience beneficial
- COVID vaccination required unless the candidate has a legally valid exemption
- A drive and passion to provide quality services and programs to the Laguna Beach public school community
- Strong teamwork skills and a can-do attitude
- Ability to work cooperatively and effectively with other staff members, community organizations, parents, volunteers, donors, and the public, including people from different racial, ethnic and cultural groups, and from different backgrounds and lifestyles
- Strong organizational and time-management skills, attention to detail, accuracy, and follow-through
- Excellent interpersonal, listening, and written communication skills
- Ability to work efficiently, independently, and problem solve, to collaborate and to take direction
- Ability to handle sensitive information confidentially; ability to exercise discretion and independent judgment
- Ability to adapt to changes in the work environment and deal with delays or unexpected events
- Ability to stay calm and positive even in a stressful environment like a large event; diplomacy and tact at all times
- Sense of humor a plus!
- Professional demeanor and appearance
WORK ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
This is a friendly, fast-paced environment. An ideal candidate will enjoy being part of a team where everyone jumps in where needed to achieve our organizational and fundraising goals ($1M+ annually) for local public schools. Because we are staffed lean and small in numbers, it is sometimes necessary to wear multiple hats and job duties can shift with organizational needs or changes in other staff positions. There is some flexibility in these tasks/hours depending on roles of other staff.
This is primarily an office job, with the exception of long periods of standing/moving during our events and handling auction items and equipment for events. Occasional driving to meetings/events. Physical requirements include standing, sitting, typing, moving auction items, bending and lifting up to approximately 20 lbs. Modification to work schedule may be based on needs of SchoolPower. The job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the job holder.
Submit cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject heading: Program Manager – (your last name). Cover letter should address your background and experience in relation to the expectations stated in the above job description. Resumes submitted without a cover letter will not be considered. No phone inquiries, please. SchoolPower is an Equal Opportunity Employer.